Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oatmeal

As a young girl hot Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat were a staple when it came to breakfast in the Price home.  I did not like either one (my daughter says it must be a texture thing in my mouth) so I would barter chores or responsibilities with my siblings so I wouldn't have to eat "the stuff".  You know how that goes, I will do your dishes or I will clean your bathroom if you will eat my bowl of "the stuff".  I felt like it was a good trade! 

I haven't eaten "the stuff" for years - until now!  My sister filled my pantry shelves not long ago and one of the items was a box of Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal.  I kept moving this box around, but the shelves have emptied and I was in a quandary about what to have for breakfast.  The box of "the stuff" jumped out at me and said 'take me!  take me'!

I took a package to work and prepared my bowl of hot Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal and ate it!  All gone!  And as I was finishing my breakfast I remember my mother telling me as a teenager when I wouldn't eat "the stuff", "its a grown up taste dear, when you grow up I think you will like it ".

Does it count that I threw a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips into the bowl?  Am I a grown up with grown up taste?  I don't think it matters because I ate "the stuff" and it was good!  I have actually had it almost every morning since (because there were quite a few packets in the box).

I am going to consider myself a grown up and call this delightful find exactly what it is!  Hot Oatmeal.  I think I might graduate to trying Cream-of-Wheat!  Yikes!  I have grown up!

2 comments:

  1. We had oatmeal on the stove every morning growing up too! I didn't care too much for it as a kid either but I love it now. My favorite is oatmeal is the steel cut variety, the kind you have to cook for about 25 minutes, so you really have to plan your breakfast in the morning. I throw on some raisins and cinnamon which gives it a nice kick. Oatmeal is great for the chlolesterol too...it acts like a sponge for those pesky things in your bloodstream that make for high numbers. Keep eating your oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen- My family was visiting your when I was young and we woke up to Oatmeal for breakfast. Of course I couldn't barter the dish of Oatmeal away like I could at home, but one by one people finished and were leaving the table - - and there I sat! I don't know how I got excused because I never did eat the oatmeal. But fun memory. I'm sure our Mom's would be proud today to know that I eat it now! :0)

    ReplyDelete