Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Utah

On January 4, 1896 The State of Utah was admitted
to the Union as the 45th State.
So on Tuesday, 2011 we were 115 years old. 
Happy Birthday! 


The name "Utah is derived from the name of the Ute Indian Tribe and means "people of the mountains" in the Ute language.  Our nickname is the Beehive State and our motto is Industrious or Industry.  Our population as of the 2010 Census is 2,763,885. 

State Quarter 


 State Flag


Utah is home to some pretty amazing State, Federal Parks and recreation area's, such as Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zions National Park, Glen Canyon National recreation area, Goblin Valley, Dinosaur National Monument.  And then we also have "the Greatest Snow on Earth" (this slogan was adopted in the 1980's).  Utah's ski resorts are primarily located in northern Utah , just to name a few - Brighton, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, The Canyons, Deer Valley and Park City.

I have lived in this state for almost all of my 55 years and I like it!  I love the changing seasons, my favorites being spring and fall.  I triple love the beautiful mountains and the fact that I can be in the valley but within 30 or so minutes I can be driving the winding roads of Millcreek Canyon or Big Cottonwood Canyon.  And let's not forget the Great Salt Lake!  As a young girl we would drive out there and run on the sandy beaches and "float" in the salty water.  Not so much these days, but it is still nice to go out and remember when.  I love the wide streets and the down town area.  I love the beautiful green spaces in the city like Liberty Park and Memory Grove.  I love the drive up Emigration Canyon and breakfast at one of my favorite places - Ruth's Diner.  You look well for your 115 years Utah!

So - HAPPY BIRTHDAY UTAH! 

No comments:

Post a Comment